Most people who hate bean soups, will love this. This soup is sweet & sour from the tomatoes & lime juice. Serve this along with some cornbread and you have a meal.
Although this soup is easy to cook on the stovetop, it takes me a while to prepare all the ingredients…chopping the onion, cleaning & plucking the cilantro leaves.
OH – Mom tells me some people absolutely hate cilantro. Not our family – the more the better! We will easily put half a bunch of cilantro leaves into the soup. I love cilantro & can’t get enough!
Tip: When cutting the onion, place your cutting board near the stove & turn on the stove fan/exhaust on HIGH to help with the onion fumes & crying. Immediately wash you hands after you have diced the onion so you don’t accidentally get the onion juice in your eyes.
We did not have any thawed chicken broth or canned, so we made our own using a bouillon cube. I don’t think you’d notice the difference either way.
Sassy Black Bean Soup
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 Cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15oz can black beans, drained
- 1 14oz can stewed tomatoes (or diced)
- 1 10.5oz can chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup picante sauce
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tb lime juice
- (fresh cilantro, chopped – optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion & garlic. Saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, picante sauce, and ground cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat & stir in lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro.